News flash!! The federal government is removing the need for medical examinations and chest X-rays for many temporary visa applicants in Australia! This arrangement will apply to all eligible new applications made in Australia and pending applications. This streamlined process will be reviewed in early 2023.
Exciting! Which visas are affected?
The changes apply to the following visa subclasses:
• 401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity)
• 403 Temporary Work (International Relations)
• 405 Investor Retirement
• 407 Training
• 408 Temporary Activity
• 410 Retirement
• 417 Working Holiday
• 461 New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary)
• 462 Work and Holiday
• 476 Skilled – Recognised Graduate
• 482 Temporary Skill Shortage
• 485 Temporary Graduate
• 500 Student
• 590 Student Guardian
• 600 Visitor
• 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary)
• 995 Diplomatic (Temporary)
What happens if I have an upcoming medical appointment?
The Department’s contracted service provider (likely Bupa) will contact you to cancel the appointment and provide a refund if the new arrangements apply to you.
What if I already completed my health checks?
The Department will process your results in the usual way and no refund will be provided for health checks that have been completed.
Who still needs to undertake the relevant medical examinations and/or chest X-rays?
Temporary visa applicants in Australia who:
• have applied for a medical treatment, temporary protection or a provisional visa;
• expect to incur medical costs or require medical treatment;
• intend to work as (or study to be) a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic;
• will enter a hospital, aged or disability care facility (if higher tuberculosis risk);
• are pregnant and intending to have the baby in Australia;
• will work or train at an Australian childcare centre;
• are aged over 75 years (if applying for a visitor visa);
• have had previous household contact with tuberculosis; or
• are requested to do so by the Department.
I understand, so how can I fulfill my dream of staying on in Australia?
We will be more than happy to assist you! Just get in touch with our friendly team via our website. Once you do that, sit back and relax as we guide you through the entire process of applying for the relevant visas!